Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Walking around Almaty on my own

I explored Almaty on my own today. I stopped by the First President’s Park for 30 minutes during my bus transfer to the Big Almaty Lake. The Park is located in the southern part of Almaty and has a spectacular mountain backdrop.  The amphitheatre atmosphere is highlighted by the fountains and water features to the rear.  

After the hike, I took a big lunch break then walked to south of the city. The Central Mosque is the largest one in Kazakhstan and can be visited every day except for Fridays (Free). 

The Zenkov Cathedral is Located at Panfilov Park, but this colourful cathedral built in 1904 is under many since. It is a functioning Russian Orthodox Church and I walked into 6 m Mass to check out the frescoes on the inside (Free). The Panfilov Park has a few statutes and is named after the Panfilov Heroes, a group of 28 soldiers from the Almaty infantry unit who died in 1941 fighting off the Nazis.












No comments:

Post a Comment