Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Green Bazar in Almaty, Kazakhstan

Green Bazar/Market is teaming with fresh fruit, all kinds of meats, nuts, clothing and household items. Not only are the fresh foods delicious, but the vendors are from all over Central Asia and are really friendly. I saw Korean dishes sold there by Koreans once moved from North Korea to here. I went to the chocolate factory next to the green market for Rakhat’s best known brand "simply Kazakhstan" a slab of milk chocolate in a sky-blue wrapper, the color of the Kazakh flag. Playing on the patriotic theme, the company has branched out into all things Kazakh: the yurt – the circular felt home of the nomads that is a national symbol – features strongly, with gift selections in yurt packaging and candies sold with mini decorative yurts as gimmicky gifts. The official price per piece is 294 Tanges, but I found one store in green maker sold at 280 Tanges. I tried dry fruits and nuts and found them no better than American's, so I decided to buy Rakhat’s chocolates as take home gifts. I will not bother to buy any gifts in China since there are too many knockoffs.







No comments:

Post a Comment