Friday, September 8, 2017

Alpine lake Song-Köl, Kyrgyzstan

Alpine lake Song-Köl (Son-Kul), at 3016m, is one of the loveliest spots in central Kyrgyzstan. All around it are lush pastures favoured by herders from the Kochkor Valley. We merged into an Israeli group of three after the festival at Bokonbaevo bus terminal to go to song kul via Kochkor without the hassles of changing buses. I met many good Israeli negotiators but these three on active military duty were the toughest. Glad that I was on the same side. We shared the van directly to  Kochkor at 350 som per person which was just 59 som more than the public buses and much less than what other taxis were asking for. Then they also picked a convenient guesthouse at Kochkor. We woke up the second under the new " leadership".  They talked to CBT, Shaperd's Life about all different options and prices, and finally nailed a transportation of 4000 som (667 som per person) round trip directly to the shore of son kul with the driver waiting one night, then 250 som per spot in the yart, and 500 som for 2-hr horse riding along the song kul. Unfortunately, my horse was passive aggressive and constantly fought against my directions, such that I barely made my way back to the yart, much less about enjoying the riding. I ride horses in a few countries yet first time had problem like this. Anyway, I enjoyed the lake views at different time of the days via walking.  We met an older French man who has been waiting for two days for his daughter to trek in to the lake on horseback. I was glad only to spend 1.5 hours on the horse. I knew two hikers started from Kyzart, near Jumgal, in one or two days, staying in shepherds’ yurts in the Char Archa and Kilenche jailoos, to avoid the expensive transport to Song-Köl as there are daily marshrutkas from Bishkek to Kyzart via Kochkor. Thanks to our Israeli friends that we paid very little for the most expletive options marketed by CBT, etc.












No comments:

Post a Comment