Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Hike in the flaming mountain valley 火焰山峽谷 near Turpan, China

I got a ride with a hostelmate to the flaming mountain canyon for a hike on my own. It is One of the hottest places in China. The ground surface temperature can reach 80c or 175f. I did not pass any of its ancient sites related to the Silk Road era and even older Indo-European Gushi people cemeteries. I walked in one of its modern irrigated valleys, the Grape Valley which is like a Knott's Berry Farm with no big amusement rides, but lots of shops, Uighur houses and villas. The Valley was close today but I crashed in anyway and walked around. I hitchhiked on a local family's car to a junction to a major highway, then they entrusted me to a local police check point that got me a shared ride to town at 20 RMB; otherwise I would have paid 100 RMB for a taxi.










No comments:

Post a Comment