Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Hike/hitchhike to Big Almaty Lake, Kazakhstan

I was prepared to take a shorter hike than the 30-km Big Almaty Lake (Ozero Bolshoe Almatinskoe), but luckily got a 7.5 km ride from Almaty Rescue physical test van and started the steep hike along the acquduck in the stunning Zailiysky Alteau Mountain Range. There are many options here for hiking, and you can read more details at this link: http://adrenalinicsilence.kz/en/hiking/10-hiking-trails-of-almaty-mountains/

The colour of the lake  changed green, turquoise or even a gray’ish colour depending on the sun. The forest was stunning. This lake was not the prettiest lake during this trip, but the steep hike along the acquaduck was surely unforgettable. 

 I took bus 63 then 28 to the end stop named GES-2 (HPP-2) or Kokshoky village and walked 2 km before I got the first ride. Once I finished the steepest section of the hike and reached 2260 meters, the hiking trail merged into the road, and I got a second ride with local hikers to the overlook of the Lake at 2600 meters. I was offered by a family to ride to the observatory at 2800 meters (required passport for access) but I decide to skip due to the overcast, and I ended up riding with a consulting group working on reinforcing the road walls. I got back to the hostel by 2 pm to avoid the forecast rain. 

My total cost was 600 tange bus fares (less than 2 USD). Instead of my bus, ride, and hike combination, you can take a taxi from the city or by Private tour Vehicle cost $30-40 USD per person.










No comments:

Post a Comment