Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Penjikent, a magic town in Tajikistan

After the encouragement of my Swiss hostel mate in Dushanbe who solo hiked in the Fann mountains for two days, I headed to Penjikent via public transport ion by myself. The 1st bus transfers were problematic since the bus fee staff only speaks Russian, but a kind Local English teacher volunteered to get me off the right stop. When I arrived the north bus terminal, a bunch of taxi drivers tried to lure me to their empty taxis, but I walked around to find the only almost full one so I could leave right away. I made a new friend during the 4.5 hr shared taxi ride (80 TJS) to Penjikent who invited me to his cousin's wedding on 8/25 in Penjikent. But my priority was to hike in the Fann mountains, so I skyped him that I would not be able to attend.

I walked into a bank near the address of the Zerafshan Tourism Development Association (ZTDA) so I can get detailed information for planning my hike in the Fann mountains. Everyone in the bank came out to help me to find ZTDA. Some turned on Russian English translators on their phones, some called up their friends who spoke English, one called up a travel agent to help me. Finally they determined that  ZTDA moved its office to another city so there is NO tourist information office in Penjikent any more. I was devastated to learn that. One IT person in the bank volunteered to walk 1 km with me to meet a travel agent who turned out to be a co-author of Lonely Planet TJ and helped me to plan my 3-day hike using public transportation and self-supported. I will follow his suggestion to tour Penjikent ruins on my own on 8/24, and then meet at him on 8/25 to borrow a tent and a sleeping bag for my DIY hike. My deepest appreciation for Takis kindness and hospitality! 

He also told me that I can easily crash a wedding in town after 6 pm, and I did tonight! I enjoyed the food and party, yet escaped before too many drunk people getting out of control. What a day!












No comments:

Post a Comment